If you are planning on being in Hluhluwe you’ll want to do some (if not all) of the activities on our list! Hluhluwe is ideal for those families or couples that love the outdoors and enjoy exploring or trying new things!
- Who doesn’t want the opportunity to get up close and personal with some of Southern Africa’s most incredible and endangered cat species? The Emdoneni Cat Rehabilitation Centre offers guests the chance to interact and play with the cats at the centre. This is a life changing and touching activity that can be enjoyed by all.
- For those looking to fit some exercise into their holiday, a guided walk through Emdoneni may be the answer. Let us educate you on the local wildlife, geology and plant life all whilst surrounded by the animals on the reserve. Or, join the Primitive Trail at Hluhluwe for a more challenging hike, if you are feeling extra energetic you can choose to backpack for 3 nights too (camping amongst the big 5).
- Looking for something for the kids? Emdoneni Lodge offer a range of child friendly activities designed to keep children safe and allow them to have fun outside of their normal environment. We also have child care available and kiddie friendly meals too!
- Visit the St Lucia Wetlands Park which incorporates Lake St Lucia, the St Lucia and Maputaland Marine Reserves, the Coastal Forest Reserve, and Kosi Bay Nature Reserve. The park comprises of 328 000 hectares of glorious scenery for you and your family to explore. This protected area is home to the largest population of hippopotamus and an estimated 1,000 crocodiles! Enjoy the plant and animal life on a day trip to St Lucia from the Emdoneni Lodge.
- If you are after a true “African” experience, you’ll want to visit Dumazulu Traditional Village. Enjoy learning about the Zulu culture over a traditionally cooked meal paired with a vibrant Zulu dance from the local tribe.
- Adrenalin junkies, this one is for you. This is not your average horse safari! Take a safari through the False Bay Nature Reserve on horseback! Hluhluwe Horse Safari’s provide the family with a unique experience where you are able meet Zebra, Impala, Kudu and Hippo whilst on horseback. We also offer game drives to Hluhluwe/iMfolozi game reserve for those who wish to opt for a quiet game drive instead!
- Looking for something a little more dangerous? Are you or your kids into reptiles? Zulu Croc Reptile Park offers visitors a two hour croc and snake experience – you will be up close and personal with the creatures and will be able to touch and feel them. You may also be interested in a swim with miniature crocodiles in the snorkelling pool.
If you are interested in meeting our cats, taking a walk through our reserve or enjoying a meal at our coffee shop, contact Emdoneni Lodge today!