Aromatherapy is a form of Eastern medicine that has been in use for over 4,000 years. There are many powerful benefits of using aromatherapy massage for both physical and mental health.
Here are 7 of them.
1. Better circulation
With an aromatherapy massage, parts of the body are gently manipulated, which increases blood flow to the muscles and vital organs.
- An aromatherapy massage enhances the flow of blood via the absorption of oils through the skin and into the bloodstream.
- Essential oils used to encourage circulation and strengthen capillaries are cypress, frankincense, grapefruit, juniper berry and sandalwood.
2. Decreased anxiety
A massage combined with aromatherapy can calm the senses and induce relaxation.
- According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, aromatherapy massage decreases anxiety levels by stimulating the release of endorphins, which are the body’s natural painkillers and stress reduction hormones.
- Essential oils used to eliminate anxiety are rosewood, sandalwood and vanilla.
3. Enhanced mental awareness
The scents of essential oils and stimulation of massage on the body activates the olfactory nerves in the brain, which amplifies serotonin production and enhances a person’s mental capacity.
- Essential oils that are used to stimulate the body and mind include juniper berry, sage and vetiver.
4. Headache relief
Individuals who suffer from constant headaches may possibly find relief with an aromatherapy massage.
- Essential oils typically used to conquer headache pain include peppermint and ylang ylang.
5. PMS relief
Premenstrual syndrome affects millions of women each month, plaguing them with bloating, fatigue and increased sensitivity to pain.
- Fortunately, the unpleasant markers of PMS are known to be eliminated via aromatherapy massage.
- Oils that are used to treat PMS symptoms are birch, jasmine and patchouli.
6. Restful sleep
To help prevent bouts of insomnia, calming methods like aromatherapy massage are recommended to induce sleep.
- When used as a tool to encourage sleep, it’s advised to receive an aromatherapy massage in the later afternoon or evening.
- Oils that promote restful sleep are lavender, marjoram and spikenard.
7. Toxin removal
The gentle manipulation of the body along with the purifying scents of essential oils encourage lymphatic drainage, which assists in the elimination of toxins.
- Lemongrass and myrtle are a couple of essential oils helpful in the removal of toxins from the body.
Many common health issues have been known to improve with the use of aromatherapy massage. Please note that individuals with bleeding disorders, heart failure and kidney failure are advised not to receive this type of massage.
Source Credit: www.yellowpages.ca